Tuesday, August 26, 2008

#15 - On the Chinese BBQ Pork Buns My Mother Gave Me

There is no true way to eat a bbq pork bun. At least when it comes to reheating them. I received 5 or 6 "prepackaged" pork buns from my mother last weekend. Not quite sure where she got them but perhaps I should ask. Each one was individually wrapped, without paper stuck to the bottom of it, much like you would find sweet red bean buns in the little "bread corner" in most asian supermarkets. You know what I'm talking about. High five my brothers.
I am sometimes wary of pork buns. They are delicious. They are just a bread exterior, sometimes rice dough, sometimes with sweet stuff smeared on top for extra oomph. The bbq pork inside is hard to mess up. Sometimes however I get a large bit of onion that is a little too... large for my taste. It isn't the flavor that gets me. It is the texture. As I chew on the meat, this leafy slimy thing smears itself on my tongue and gags me, turning what was a pleasurable experience into a STRUGGLE FOR LIFE ITSELF.
I broke out the pork buns in the middle of playing a videogame with my friend Nam who was thankfully online. Otherwise I would have had to share them with him. I microwaved the buns in their little packages despite his advice to steam them. I am lazy. Turns out it did not matter either. The outside bread did achieved the heat properties of a lesser star after spending a few seconds too long in the microwave and it also got a bit soggy. I was vaguely upset, though when I held it in my hand, the outside of the bread was still dry and pleasant to the touch. Not unless a fresh cooked brownie. I bit down onto the overly moist bread and hit the meat which was delicious and it's slightly drier than usual nature (though still sweet with delicious sauce) balanced out the consistency of the outer bun. Truly a good pork bun. Each one I ate over the course of the last few days has been equally dilectable and not once did I suffer an onion attack.
Grade: A

5 comments:

david said...

safeway has frozen pork buns now. it's in a "safeway select" package in the frozen section (duh). microwave them and they come out good. regina has a baby. wtf?

kevin said...

i heard you ate steamed pork buns...except, instead of pork it was poop and instead of you i meant me....:(

Josie said...

In Taiwan you can get them at the 7-11. That and a corn cobb soaked in oily brine.

kevin said...

this blog is not updated frequently enough and i was expecting some sort of reaction to what might be the stupidest comment i have ever made.

neumunki said...

david: i do not believe in Safeway Select Pork Buns. Prove it to me by buying me a bunch. Regina has a baby.. and now so does BOBBY MOY.

kevin: i am dismayed by the fact that you ate poop. however, i am happy that it was not me.

josie: that sounds nasty.

kevin: see above. though you have definitely made stupider comments. like that one on laura's blog.